Friday, July 1, 2011

J&C #193: Canada Day Abroad

Spending Canada Day abroad is an entirely different experience than spending it in country.  In Canada, you get a day off work, fireworks, parades, pancake breakfasts, and a general feeling of camaraderie and patriotism.  Abroad, it's a regular work day, and while you feel a little tingly inside, knowing that today is a special day, you usually don't have anyone to share this feeling with, and the nationals of the country you're in think you're a little strange.

Today is Canada Day, and I am in Slovakia.  This marks the 6th time I've celebrated this holiday outside Canada. However, this Canada Day I actually had countrymen to share it with! My Dad is here visiting,  we have a summer intern, Andrew from Edmonton, as well, Joseph is half-Canadian (although he doesn't have his citizenship yet), so he counts too!

I was insistent on having a BBQ, but the skies did not seem to want to allow me to do so.  However, there was a window of opportunity! The rain stopped, the wind died down a bit and I was right out there lighting up the charcoal!  Then, in the evening we had "fireworks". At Christmastime last year, as a gift exchange gift, I bought fire crackers, which we never exchanged because we didn't have the party as we had no power in the house!  So, here we are, 2 Canadians outside (1.5 inside) throwing fire crackers in the front yard, giggling like school children. The neighbours were curious and poked their heads outside, and chuckled at us as I told them why we were doing what we were doing.  One made a comment that I should have bought actual fireworks at New Year's and kept them for the occasion.  Yes, in Slovakia, we do our own fireworks at New Year's.  Well, maybe not me, they make me nervous. :)


I don't know how James felt about the whole event, but I know he enjoyed the hamburgers!

1 comment:

  1. Stink, all I did was eat a buntcake and lit a candle... :).. and sang Oh Canada!!!! didn't have time for anything else since my daughter is going through another growth spurt :)... LOVE lil' JJ's shirt!!!!

    ReplyDelete